24.12.14

My final tribute to Major on this Christmas Eve.  He has been dead almost six weeks and I miss him every single day.  Run free lovely boy.



Major - My Horse of the Year 

Only a horse?  Well that may be,
but so much more than a horse to me.
A horse in a million – I know that sounds trite
but this perfect description fits him just right.
I don’t begrudge all the money I’ve spent
on this dear horse, from Heaven sent,
honest and brave, my trusty steed
out riding, he would take the lead
when others stood and would not budge
he’d walk straight on from the slightest nudge.
Frequently, he’d play the clown
in the outside school by lying down,
and there he’d snooze without a care
causing folk in passing cars to stare
at what it seemed was a dead horse
but no, it was only Maj, of course.
By Loch Ness shore he’d like to ‘paddle’
deep enough to reach the saddle,
but most of all he loved to swim
when, striding out, no stopping him,
the Monster, though, we didn’t see
(always a relief for me).
Not always such a perfect horse,
his halo sometimes slipped, of course,
as on one ride high on a hill,
no breath of wind, the air was still,
and there we’d stopped to stand and blether
but he dropped down to roll on heather,
me still on board!  Laugh?  I did not!
and his excuse, ‘Well, I was too hot!’
Always gentle, always calm,
incapable of doing harm,
friend to old ladies, strong men, tiny tots,
nothing phased him, not one jot,
he took all things within his stride,
a pleasure to be with – a pleasure to ride.
For eight short years he brought me joy,
my handsome, gentle, generous boy,
my dearest buddy, special friend,
his life cut short, too brief an end,
still in his prime, he seemed so strong
but that awful day, he proved me wrong.
So every day, I question why
 this wonderful pony had to die.
It is so, so hard to say goodbye.
So this Christmas Eve, the tears still near
I say thanks to my beautiful ‘Horse of the Year.’

Wishing all Major's blog followers and friends a very Merry Christmas and happy 2015 x

16 comments:

  1. A beautiful tribute it is! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. A Merry Christmas and Happy 2015 to you too :)

      Delete
  2. That really was beautiful. So glad he won the award. So sorry about what happened. I hope you will be able one day to smile as you remember all the fun you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Foody. I know time will eventuallyheal but what a time it takes :)

      Delete
  3. How wonderful. I hope my human thinks as much of me when my time comes. I love that Major had a fabulous life with you.
    Hope you have a good 2015 xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Zoe, that's such a lovely thing to say. I think he would have approved :)

      Delete
  4. Very beautiful and now I'm crying. I'm so sorry, you should have had many more years before ever having cause to write this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah. Enjoy every day you have with her. We never know what's round the corner :)

      Delete
  5. Major wasn't "just a horse" he was your buddy. He was a good pal to you, I felt I knew him even though I had never met him. As I have said before we had a Border Collie up until 4 1/2 years ago. Such a beautiful gentle lovely dog. I could cry now as we miss her still. Bless you Hana and Major, may you be running free, got tears in my eyes now xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann. Yes, for all those four legged friends we have loved and lost - may they run forever free. My little rescue collie is setting in well. Happy New Year to you for tomorrow x

      Delete
  6. This is beautiful- any tips on writing poetry as good as this? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liv, no tips I'm afraid, but good luck with your new blog!

      Delete
  7. Well it's now May, everytime I see a photo of a horse lying asleep flat out I think of Major and that wonderful photo of him asleep in the school. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, thanks for keeping his memory alive. I am so glad I gave this blog to remember all the little things we did. X

      Delete

I always pass on yourcomments to Major. He loves to hear them!